Code of Ethics and Professional Standards
The United Methodist Stewardship Foundation (hereinafter, “The Foundation”) is organized primarily to support and enhance the work of United Methodist Churches through stewardship education and solicit, accept, develop and/or promote current and planned gifts, endowment funds, or funds held in trust for United Methodist Churches and causes and for other non-profit charitable organizations.
Employees of The Foundation and The Foundation’s Board of Directors embrace the following Code of Ethics and Professional Standards in their efforts to manage and develop resources for United Methodist Churches and causes and for other non-profit charitable organizations.
Employees and Members of The Foundation’s Board of Directors:
- Affirm, through personal behavior and giving, a commitment to Jesus Christ and the United Methodist Church.
- Provide professional services with integrity, honesty, truthfulness, objectivity and adherence to the absolute obligation to safeguard the public trust.
- Act according to the highest standards and visions of our organization, profession and conscience.
- Provide services with a high degree of competency, striving to maintain the necessary knowledge and skills, while also recognizing our own individual boundaries of competence.
- Put philanthropic mission above personal gain, setting compensation structures that are not based on commissions for dollars raised.
- Respect the confidentiality of donors and ensure that gifts are used in accordance with the donor’s intentions.
- Foster cultural diversity and pluralistic values, treating all peoples with dignity and respect.
- Take steps to ensure the highest standards by having sound administrative practices including an annual financial audit, regular board meetings that are well-documented, insurance, and written personnel policies.
- Encourage directors and staff to pursue continuing education by subsidizing or providing funding for such events and/or classes as may be appropriate.
- Adhere to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations